Dr. Robert M. Silver
Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Chief, Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine
University of Utah Health Sciences Center (UUHSC)
30 North 1900 East SOM 2B200
Salt Lake City, UT 84132 (USA)
Education and Training:
|INSTITUTION AND LOCATION||DEGREE||YEAR (s)||FIELD OF STUDY|
|University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA||BA||1982||Microbiology|
|Medical College of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA||MD||1986||Medicine|
|University of Colorado Health Sciences Center,
|Residency||1986-1990||Obstetrics and Gynecology|
|University of Utah Health Sciences Center (UUHSC), Salt Lake City, UT||Fellowship||1990-1994||Maternal-Fetal Medicine|
A. Positions and Honors
|1990-1991||Clinical Instructor, Department of Ob/Gyn, UUHSC, SLC, UT|
|1992-1994||Instructor, Department of Ob/Gyn, UUHSC, SLC, UT|
|1994-1998||Assistant Professor, Department of Ob/Gyn, UUHSC, SLC, UT|
|1998-2006||Associate Professor with tenure, Department of Ob/Gyn, UUHSC, SLC, UT|
|2006-present||Professor with tenure, Department of Ob/Gyn, UUHSC, SLC , UT|
|1995-2003||Residency Director, Department of Ob/Gyn, UUHSC, SLC, UT|
|2001-present||Medical Director of Labor and Delivery, UUHSC, SLC, UT|
|2000-present||Division Chief, Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Ob/Gyn, UUHSC, SLC, UT|
|1985||Kurt Pauker Achievement Award for Excellence in Microbiology|
|1986||Alpha Omega Alpha|
|1993-1998||Research Scientist Development Program, National Institutes of Health|
|2000||Poster Award (best of session): IgA beta-2-glycoprotein-I Antibodies are Elevated in Women with Unexplained Recurrent Spontaneous Abortion and Unexplained Fetal Death, Society for Gynecologic Investigation|
|2001||Poster Award (best of session): Heparin-induced Thrombocytopenia is Rare in Pregnancy, Society of Perinatal Obstetricians 18th Annual Meeting|
|2003||Poster Award (best of meeting): Stillbirth in Utah from 1995-2001|
B. Peer-Reviewed Publications
Select peer-reviewed publications (in chronological order)
- Mitchell MD, Edwin SS, Lundin-Schiller S, Silver RM, Smotkin D, Trautman MS. (1993). Mechanism of interleukin-1 beta stimulation of human amnion prostaglandin biosynthesis: mediation via a novel inducible cyclooxygenase. Placenta 1993; 14:615-25.
- Edwin SS, Branch DW, Scott JR, Silver RM, Mitchell MD. Cyclosporin A attenuates increased prostaglandin and thromboxane production in response to various stimuli in human decidua. Am J Reprod Immunol 1993;30: 154-9.
- Silver RM, Draper ML, Scott JR, Lyon JL, Byrne SL, Ashwood EA, Branch DW. Unexplained elevations of maternal serum alpha-fetoprotein in women with antiphospholipid antibodies: A harbinger of fetal death. Obstet Gynecol 1993; 83:150-5.
- Silver RM, Draper ML, Scott JR, Lyon JL, Reading J, Branch DW. Clinical consequences of antiphospholipid antibodies: An historical cohort study. Obstet Gynecol, 1994;83:372-7.
- Mitchell MD, LaMarche S, Adamson S, Coulam C, Silver RM, Edwin SS. Regulation of intrauterine prostaglandin biosynthesis interactions between protein kinase C and interleukin 1Β. Prost Leuk EFA 1994;50:137-40.
- Silver RM, Edwin SS, Trautmna MS, Simmons DL, Branch DW, Dudley DJ, Mitchell MD. Bacterial lipopolysaccharide mediated fetal death: Production of a newly-recognized form of inducible cyclooxygenase (COX-2) in murine deciduas in response to lipopolysaccharide. J Clin Invest 1995;93:725-31.
- Silver RM, Pierangelli SS, Gharavai AE, Harris EN, Edwin SS, Salafia CM, Branch DW. Induction of high levels of anticardiolipin antibodies in mice by immunization with Β2-glycoprotein 1 does not cause fetal death. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1995;173L1410-5.
- Silver RM, Porter TF, van Leeuwen I, Coulam C, Jeng G, Scott JR, Branch DW. Anticardiolipin antibodies: Clinical consequences of low titers. Obstet Gynecol 1996;87:494-500.
- Oshiro BT, Silver RM, Scott JR, Yu H, Branch DW. Antiphospholipid antibodies and fetal death. Obstet Gynecol 1996;87:489-93.
- Edwin SS, Branch DW, Scott JR, Silver RM, Dudley DJ, Mitchell MD. Cyclosporin A inhibits prostaglandin E2 production by fetal amnion cells in response to various stimuli. Prostaglandins 1996;52:51-61.
- Branch DW, Silver RM. Criteria for antiphospholipid syndrome: early pregnancy loss, fetal loss, or recurrent pregnancy loss? Lupus 1996;5:409-13.
- Branch DW, Silver RM, Pierangeli SS, van Leeuwen I, Harris EN. Antiphospholipid antibodies other than lupus anticoagulant are not associated with recurrent pregnancy loss. Obstet Gyencol 1997;89:549-55.
- Silver RM, Edwin SS, Umar F, Dudley DJ, Branch DW, Mitchell MD. Bacterial lipopolysaccharide-mediate fetal death: The role of interleukin-1. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1997;176:544-9.
- Silver RM, Pierangeli SS, Edwin SS, Umar F, Harris EN, Scott JR, Branch DW. Pathogenic antibodies in women with obstetric features of antiphospholipid syndrome who test negative for lupus anticoagulant and anticardiolipin antibodies. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1997;176:628-33.
- Silver RM, Smith LA, Edwin SS, Oshiro BT, Scott JR, Branch DW. Variable effects of immunoglobulin G fractions from women with antiphospholipid antibodies on murine pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1997;177:229-33.
- Coulam CB, Clark DA, Beer AE, Kutteh WH, Silver RM, Kwad J, Stephenson M. Current clinical options for diagnosis and treatment of recurrent spontaneous abortion. Am J Reprod Immunol 1997;38:57-74.
- Edwin SS, Mitchell MD, Silver RM, Branch DW, Dudley DJ. Ceramide stimulates prostaglandin production by human amnion and decidual cells J Soc Gynecol Invst 1997;4:274-8.
- Gharavi AE, Cucurull E, Tang H, Silver RM, Branch DW. Effect of antiphospholipid antibodies on beta-2-glycoprotein I-phospholipid interaction. Am J Reprod Immunol 1998;39:310-5.
- Kutteh WH, Rote NS, Silver RM. Antiphospholipid antibodies and reproduction. Am J Reprod Immunol 1999;41:133-154.
- Pregnancy loss study group (Branch DW, Druzin M, El-Sayed Y, Esplin MS, Hrager J, Peaceman AM, Silver RK, Silver RM, Spinnato J). A multicenter, controlled, pilot study of intravenous immune globulin treatment antiphospholipid syndrome in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2000;182:122-7.
- Van-Horn JT, Craven C, Ward K, Branch DW, Silver RM. Histologic features of gestational tissues from women with antiphospholipid and antiphospholipid-like syndromes. Placenta 2004;25:642-8.
- Ornoy A, Chen L, Silver RM, Mosmann TR, Miller RK. Maternal autoimmune diseases and immunologically-induced embryonic and feto-placental damage. Birth Defects Res Part A Clin Mol Teratol 2004;70:71-81.
- Frias AE, Luikenaar RA, Sullivan AE, Porter TF, Branch DW, Silver RM. Poor obstetric outcome in subsequent pregnancies in women with prior fetal death. Obstet Gynecol 2004;104:521-6.
- Sullivan AE, Silver RM, LaCoursiere DY, Porter TF, Branch DW. Does recurrent aneuploidy contribute to recurrent miscarriage? Obstet Gynecol 2004;10:784-8.
- Sullivan AE, Nelson L, Rice JA, Porter TF, Branch DW, Silver RM. The factor V Leiden and the G20210A prothrombin gene mutations are rare in women with fetal death. Am J Reprod Immunol 2005;54;1-4.
- Sullivan AE, Nelson L, Silver RM, Frias AE, Porter TF, Branch DW. The aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear tranlsocator gene polymorphism in patients with recurrent miscarriage. Am J Reprod Immunol 2006;55(1): 51-3
- Silver RM, Landon MB, Rouse DC, Leveno JK, Spong CY, Thom EA, et al. Maternal morbidity associated with multiple repeat cesarean deliveries. Obstet Gynecol 2006;107(6): 1226-32.
- Silver RM. Fetal Death. Obstet Gynecol 2007;109(1):153-67.
- Silver RM, Varner MW, Reddy U, Goldenberg R, Pinar H, Conway D, Bukowski R, Carpenter M, Hogue C, Willinger M, Dudley D, Saade G, Stoll B. Work-up of stillbirth: a review of the evidence. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2007;196:433-44.
- Warren JE, Silver RM, Nelson L, Dalton J, Porter TF, Branch DW. Cervical insufficiency: a genetic condition? Collagen 1?1 intron SP1 and transforming growth factor-? ARG-25-PRO polymorphisms in women with cervical insufficiency. Obstet Gynecol 2007;110:619-24.
- Raju TN, Nelson KB, Ferriero D, Lynch JK; NICHD-NINDS Perinatal Stroke Workshop Participants. Pediatrics 2007;120:609-16.
- Holmgren C, Esplin MS, Hamblin S, Esplin MS, Molenda M, Silver RM. Evaluation of the use of anti-TNF-alpha in an LPS-induced murine model. J Reprod Immunol 2008; Epub, April 21.
- Silver RM. New anticoagulants and pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2008;112:419-20.
- Silver RM. Immune activation early in pregnancy: trouble down the road. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2008, 199;327-8.
- Holmgren C, Porter TF, Varner MW, Aagard K, Silver RM. Hyperemesis in pregnancy: A comparison of treatment strategies. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 2008;198:56e1-4.
- Turok DK, Gurtcheff S, Esplin MS, Shah M, Simonsen SE, Shah M, Trauscht-Van Horn J, Silver RM. Second trimester termination of pregnancy: A review by site and procedure type. Contraception 2008;77:155-61
- Peltier MR, Faux DS, Hamblin SD, Cooper C, Silver RM, Esplin MS. Effect of aspirin treatment on TNF-? Production by women with a history of preterm birth. J Reprod Immunol 2009;80:109-14.
- Warren JE, Silver RM, Branch DW, Porter TF. Thromboprophylaxis and pregnancy outcomes in asymptomatic women with thrombophilias. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009;200:281.e1-5.
- Warren JE, Nelson L, Esplin MS, Silver RM. Interleukin-10 polymorphisms and cervical insufficiency. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009;201:372-4.
- Manuck TA, Eller AG, Esplin MS, Stoddard G, Varner MW, Silver RM. Outcomes of expectantly managed preterm premature rupture of membranes occurring ? 24 weeks gestation. Obstet Gynecol 2009;114:29-37.
- Reddy UM, Goldenberg R, Silver R, Smith GCS, Pauli RM, Wapner RJ, et al. Stillbirth classification: developing an international consensus for research: Executive summary of NICHD workshop. Obstet Gynecol 2009;114:901-14.
- Manuck TA, McLean, Varner MW, Silver RM. Preterm premature rupture of membranes: does the duration of latency influence neonatal outcome? Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009;201:414-6.
- Warren JE, Turok DK, Maxwell TM, Brothman AR, Silver RM. Array comparative genomic hybridization (aCGH) for genetic evaluation of fetal loss between 10 and 20 weeks gestation. Obstet Gynecol 2009;114:1093-1102.
- Clark EAS, Lacoursiere DY, Byrne JLB, Ponder R, Silver RM, Esplin MS. Reliability of fetal MCA velocity: a randomized controlled trial of sonographer training. J Ultrasound Med 2009;28:19-25.
- Grosvenor Eller A, Silver RM, Zempolich K, Soisson P, Simonson SE. Optimal management of placenta accreta. Br J Obstet Gynecol 2009;116:648-54.
- Peltier MR, Faux DS, Hamblin SD, Silver RM, Esplin MS. Cytokine production by peripheral blood mononuclear cells of women with a history of preterm birth. In press, J Reprod Immunol.
- Silver RM, Zhao Y, Spong C, Caritis SN, Sibai B, Wendel G Jr., et al. Prothrombin gene G20210A mutation and obstetric complications: a prospective cohort. In press, Obstet Gynecol.
C. Research Support
Preterm Birth in Nulliparous Women: An Understudied Population (Silver)
This Network will design and execute a prospective, longitudinal cohort study of 10,000 nulliparous women. The research protocols developed will determine characteristics that influence and/or predict adverse pregnancy outcomes in nulliparous women including genetics, epigenetics, physiological response to pregnancy, interaction with environmental exposures, fetal growth and development, and placental development and function.
Research on the Scope and Causes of Stillbirth in the United States (Silver)
The major goals of this project are to develop a network of collaborating academic centers to study the extent and causes of stillbirth and to develop methods for stillbirth prevention.
HHSN267200603423C / N01DK63423 (Silver)
The Effects of Aspirin in Gestation and Reproduction
The purpose of this contract is to evaluate the effect of daily low-dose aspirin on all phases of reproduction beginning at preconception and continuing throughout pregnancy, including implantation and live births.
Dedicated to Women's and Children's Well-being and Health Care Worldwide